Friday, December 3, 2010

T-Minus 38 Days...

I’m leaving for Africa in 38 days. I am beyond excited. Indeed, ever since I left, I knew I’d go back. It’s strange that I have never felt that way before in any other country. When I spent months in Australia, I loved every minute… but when it was time to go home, I was ready. When I spent a summer in Venezuela, I cried buckets on the plane ride home, but I also didn’t feel compelled to return. In Uganda… when I was driving away towards the airport… I had a thought… I thought, ‘I’ll be back… I’ll hug these kids and I’ll dance with these women. I cannot stay silent about what I’ve seen… and I know that I must return.’

When I returned from Uganda, I joined staff with Fount of Mercy and have awaited the day when my schedule would allow me to return. Well… January 2011… here I come! It’s a different feeling this time around… less is unknown, less is unexpected… and this time I am traveling with my husband, my friends; rather than my high school students. I feel a freedom awaits me in this trip. I’m excited to travel alongside my family and friends and step into Africa with reckless abandon, expecting God to do miraculous things, yet again.

I think it will be a bit strange not to have Teddy, Jack, Kendal, and Julie beside me in Uganda. Those students made my first trip to Uganda magical. I loved their insight, their love for the children, and the way they so openly and honestly processed their journey with me. What an honor is was to serve alongside them.
I never thought I would have a “heart” for a specific people… I always thought I would go and serve and love and help… and then leave. But with the people in Uganda… it is much different for me. I cannot explain it, but I love them. I want to see them do well, succeed, rejoice… and I want to be a part of that journey.

And… the best part of this is… I get to! =)

If you’re interested in finding out about the non-profit I work for, go to www.fountofmercy.org to learn more.

5 comments:

Scooby Meredith said...

Although you will be terribly missed, I am so excited that you get to return. Bye Favorite!!

Travis Orth said...

You will be joined in the near future!

Anonymous said...

I hope you and Matt have an amazing time! Prayin' for ya!

shontell said...

Why are you trying to make me jealous of your life right now? You are stinking awesome. We are preparing our paper chain countdown. Lots of love and prayers to you.

Bekah said...

I'm so excited for your return to Uganda. You are in for so much.