Wednesday, October 22, 2008

cleansing

during my first year of seminary, there was a ridiculous amount of rain that poured down on campus. it was never-ending. it just rained and rained and rained... i remember being so sick of the rain. and yet... i also remember really enjoying the moments curled up in front of the balcony windows, sipping some coffee, and studying some theology. i like being wrapped up in a blanket, thankful to be indoors... the rain made me appreciate the warmth. so, sure... i could spend a bit of time writing about the value of "storms" and the importance of "trials"... and how without the rain, there is no produce, no crop.. no fruit. but, that is not where i'm heading. =)

rain.

i long for it. in fact, currently i'd say i am desperate for it. i so crave a season of cleansing. a season of rain washing over me. and yet, the rain is not coming, the cleansing is not happening... instead, i am in a drought.

silly droughts.

and the thing about God, and the thing about droughts, and the thing about lacking rain... is that usually, it's our fault. =) like my perspective has ever so slightly been shifted back to me... my life... my issues... my desires... and i have lost sight of the One who breathes grace.

"rain come down, come and heal these sores and wash them clean, come and heal my soul. rain come quickly... come and ease this fire. rain silence me... " brie stoner

so, today.. i am praying for rain.

9 comments:

Jessie Marie said...

so before i even read this blog... i put Come Down by Brie Stoner on repeat... and it's still on repeat. it's probably played like 20 times by now. and even before i got to the bottom of your blog where you quoted that song, i was thinking to myself how i, too, feel the need for cleansing, but am not getting it. and it is indeed because of me.

anyways... wow.

i feel like i could have a conversation with you that would last for all eternity.

awesome.

Stacy Aloha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy Aloha said...

So, I hate to be the one that brings the sarcasm into this beautiful moment. But this reminded me of something Matt Chandler said the other day during a sermon. He was talking about manure and fertilizer and how in life....

Sometimes we need to be shit on before anything will grow.

we need rain and crap, so bring it!

the end. :)

Jessie Marie said...

oh my friend stacy afroha...

how i do love you :)

bring on the crap,
bring on the rain,
bring on the growth,
bring on the Lord =)

Travis Orth said...

That is my very position at this moment
This drought has been quite long, but The rain is not far

and when it comes
Healing rain - Michael W. Smith is what will come to mind for me
I can't wait for it.

Brianna Soloski said...

Bubs, your blog makes me happy. Thank you!

Willem "Willebeer" de Beer said...

Hallo Rebecca

thanks for your sharing of that raining experience, today you helped me to prepare for a lesson with my own young teens!

hope te drought is over!!

Sarah Herring said...

I love your reflections. I am looking for the song/poem that you quote here by Brie Stoner. I heard a song on Rob Bell's nooma video called "Rain" that quotes some of it, and yet can't find it on the net. Any help would be appreciated...

Your expressions are beautiful!

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah... you can listen to the song on Brie's "myspace music page" at: http://www.myspace.com/briestoner
The song is called "Come Down" by Brie Stoner... but she actually calls it "Rain" on her Myspace page to make it easier for people to find. =) and yes, it was on the Rain Nooma soundtrack. =)
Thanks for commenting... hope this helps!